Sunday, October 12, 2008

Monochrome Monday Maniac

This is at Britannia Heritage Shipyards in a section of Richmond, BC, called Steveston. At the turn of the twentieth century, Steveston was the busiest fishing port in the world, with fifteen salmon canneries, six hotels, numerous saloons and gambling dens, and up to fourteen windjammers simultaneously loading canned salmon for world markets. On a Saturday night, 10,000 people thronged the boardwalks, including Native Indians, Japanese, Chinese, European immigrants, and sailors from the seven seas. The nine remaining buildings of this shipyard are the oldest remaining structures on the mighty Fraser River. You can read more about this heritage site here. My photo was originally in colour, but then I decided it would probably look more authentic in black and white, so I switched it. Then I thought I'd try it in sepia tones, and I like that even better. Click on the photo to enlarge it. What do you think?










Monochrome Monday is the brainchild of Aileni and if you're interested, go to his site here and then to his sidebar to see who participates. Please join in if you like monochromatic photos, but be sure to at least check out the Monochrome Maniacs and let them know what you think of their photographs. Thanks for checking in and I'd love it if you were to leave a comment.

18 comments:

Katney said...

History looks good in monochrome.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by my post. This one's so great, I think the sepia tone matched the overall feel of the picture.

Anonymous said...

You can join the angles and textures group today, Leslie. I agree with Katney.

MumbaiiteAnu said...

It's perfect in sepia. I have yet to experiment with sepia.
Have a great week.

My monochrome shot is here

Dragonstar said...

It looks good. My photos never look right changed to sepia, maybe I need new software.
Steveston was obviously a very important place in its time.

Roan said...

I think sepia is a perfect fit. Love the angle you chose. BJ

Jane Hards Photography said...

We still having a working ship yard.
The gentle sepia tone does it give a really clsic older feel.

Carver said...

I think that looks fantastic in sepia. Great shot and interesting post.

maryt/theteach said...

Lovely shot and accompanying story! I will publish my Monochrome Monday post on Wednesday... Ha! No, I really will! :)

Mojo said...

I'm with Katney... historic places always look good in mono. What a scene this place must have been back in the day.

Catherine said...

This warehouse, in sepia, told us all its past importance and glory, and its actual desolation.
I imagine that sepia shade gives the warehouse an impression of nostalgia.
Wonderful choice, Leslie

earthlingorgeous said...

I love this shot, especially the cloud effect.

Maria's Space said...

What a great picture with tons of textures.

Barbara said...

This is perfect in sepia, it really brings out the textures.

Petrus said...

It's sad that busy hives of industry can decline so quickly - once a busy place and then suddenly a ghost town - it happens all over the world ...

Unknown said...

Great b/w image and interesting reading.

Maria's Space said...

Looks good in color or in sephia. Love.

SandyCarlson said...

Your photo stops time! Well done. There are places like this around here that seem haunted, full of life and story with no place to go. Always interesting. God bless.